Friday 19 August 2016

Leaving Cert Results!

Hi everyone! 

As you probably know, the Leaving Cert results came out on Wednesday. So here I am, sharing them, because why not? On a related note, I'll also be posting my leaving cert tips, my study playlist, my preparations for college and lots of other fun stuff. If ye enjoy it even half as much as I do, we'll be flying!

My Results

To summarise: I got 600 points out of a maximum possible 625, which is enough to get me into (I think) any course in the country except for those that require interviews, HPAT, etc. Yay! My course only needed 515, but overshooting it by 85 can't hurt.

Me with Dad

The Breakdown

Physics: A1
Chemistry: A1
French: A1
English: A1
Irish: A2
Maths: B1
History: B2

My Reaction

I enjoyed slowly pulling the sheet out of the envelope, as the first things I saw were the A1 in English and A2 in Irish, aka a good start. 

I counted my points several times and was delighted to have reached the 600-point mark (it just has great symbolism, y'know?). My guidance counsellor, year head and principal were lovely about my results, and I got some photos for the paper.

I was delighted with the A1s, disappointed with Maths and Irish and happy that I pushed History from a D1 in the mocks to a B2 in the real thing. 

A few hours after I got the results, it dawned on me that they don't really mean a whole lot once I've got my course. So while I'm relieved my seriously hard work paid off, I don't really get the big deal people are making of 600+ points. I just saw an article in some newspaper like "I got 600 points, here's how you can too!" and having gotten 600, it seems a lot less impressive now.

Damn my brain, constantly moving the goalposts. "You can be satisfied with your achievements if you get 580+" *Gets 600* *Yoink!*

Cue Angelica Schuyler from Hamilton

"I will never be satisfied...I will never be satisfied!"

It is nice to have lots of choice now though, just in case I (for some reason) decided I don't like my current #1 course and want to re-apply next year with these points. Choice: it's great. Also, I'll get a Trinity entrance scholarship, which I've heard is pretty measly but hey, better than nothing!

I'm so glad I don't have to go to a lower choice/do a PLC/repeat the Leaving, and I'm mega excited to go to college. I think it's the perfect place for me.

Comparison to Predictions

I did full sets of Predictions a week before the Leaving Cert and again the week after I sat it, so I'm going to compare those to my results.

The ones from the week before are "Target", the ones from the week after are "Pessimistic Prediction" and "Optimistic Prediction". The boxes highlighted in yellow are those where I scored outside the predicted range. Points-wise, before I sat the exams I set a target of 605, which I didn't quite reach (I got a B1 instead of the necessary-for-that-scenario A2 in Maths). Afterwards, I set a pessimistic 500 and an optimistic 605. So I scored at the top end of that with 600. Which is okay.

Subject
Target
Pessimist Pred
Optimist Pred
Result
English
A2/A1
C1
A2
A1
Irish
A1
B1
A1
A2
Maths
A2/A1
C2
A2
B1
Physics
A1
B3
A2
A1
Chemistry
A1
B1
A1
A1
History
????
C2
A2
B2
French
A1
B1
A1
A1

If you want a laugh, think about the fact that I went into school and had photos taken with my good points and only found out later that I'd been wearing my jeans backwards. 
College

Unless something truly shocking happens and there's an 85-point rise in my course requirement, I'll be doing Science in Trinity (TR071) come September. Exciting :D


Now, if I could just sort out accommodation ... That's the next challenge!

Until then.

Elle xo

No comments:

Post a Comment