Wednesday 31 August 2016

Review: August 2016

Hi all! August was a bit of a weird month, with periods of intense activity and then also days where I just worked on my projects in my bedroom. 

FRIENDS: I'm glad to have had lots of time with my friends this month. I spent the 6th, 7th, 11th, 12th, 18th, 22nd, 23rd and 25th either at sleepovers or at parties (or at sleepover parties...). Good fun. Facebook told me that the 3rd of August was my 3rd Facebook friendship anniversary with Gabi, so here's the hella cute collage I made (painstakingly in MS Paint) for Gabi's birthday. I also celebrated two years of friendship with Daniel on the 2nd. Funny how that corresponds.




18TH BIRTHDAY: I turned 18 a few weeks ago and had a few friends over to celebrate with a trip to the pizzeria and some chilling on the beach. We would've watched shooting stars, too, except for the bloody cloud cover. It was a lovely birthday and my friends banded together to make me this lovely notebook full of letters for me. My ideal present, basically.




LEAVING CERT RESULTS: I got my results on Wednesday 17th and got 600 points, with A1s in English, Physics, Chemistry and French.



COLLEGE: I was offered and accepted a place on Trinity's General Science course, which starts in just under three weeks. Exciting! (Wish it would hurry up though...) Three of my friends got into UCD Arts, and I'm excited to move up to Dublin soon.

CTYI REUNIONS: We had two CTYI reunions this month, the hype reunion and the big summer reunion. Both were great. Strange lack of photos though.

SPEAKING: I attended a training workshop for TEDxDrogheda with our great speaking coach, Orlaith Carmody. It was very tiring but I learned a lot so that was cool. I've also been preparing to speak at TY Expo on the 13th of September, and will be speaking at Zeminar in mid-October.

OUTBOX: Gabi and I had a reunion with Amy from Manchester, whom we befriended at Outbox - and completely serendipitously, Aoife from Sligo happened to be in Dublin that day and literally physically bumped into us!

@RainyGabi @MiniGirlGeek and I at international Dub @OutboxIncubator reunion + ran into @trebletotheclef from Sligo!

20 UNDER 20: I was invited to a 20under20 meetup in Dogpatch Labs organised by Tom McCarthy. It was fun and I met lots of cool people.


Photo by James Keating


PROJECTS: I've been working away towards my goals, which I created in a heavy brainstorming session of "life dreams" -> goals for the next year on August 2nd and I'm so glad I did. Here's my goals tracker so you can see how that's going. I put an X in the box every time I work towards that goal. Some things I'm hoping will start bearing fruit over the next month are the antibiotic resistance campaign and the speaking goal. Cool stuff is also happening with the Youth Platform of the Talent support network so look out for that. This month (or towards the end of July), I've read A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking, A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson, Zero to One by Peter Thiel and I'm about 25% through Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. I want to read Asking for It by Louise O' Neill soon. 




So there you go! That's my August.

No comments:

Post a Comment